The world is truly aware of Samsung’s new flagship, the Galaxy Note II with the newly introduced S-Pen. But today we are not here to review, we rather aim on something more important that is “Rooting & Installing Clockworkmod Recovery on Galaxy Note II AT&T”. With the evolution of android, rooting is now a much more easy process than before, when you needed a set of tools. But now rooting is the easiest part that an android can afford, just a few click and you are done! Voila!
I assume that most of us know what the process “rooting an Android device” or “root” means but at the other hand there are some people who are new to all these stuff, so I would first define these for you in as easy and simple language as humanly possible.
What is rooting?
Rooting is a process that allows any Android smartphone/ tablet user to gain root privileges over the android subsystem. Rooting not only helps in removing carrier limitations but also serves a purpose to change, remove or install operating system.
What is ClockworkMod Recovery?
A linux/ unix operating system employs a recovery, so android being based on linux also has recovery. Clockworkmod is a secondary recovery system created by Koush, which adds enormous features like wiping partitions, flashing flash able .zip files like ROMs, kernels, patches etc.
Since now we are done with this little description, I intend to move on to the instructions. Follow them strictly, else you might yourself be responsible for any kind of harm.
Install Clockworkmod Recovery
- We will make sure that you have proper drivers installed on your PC (Windows OS), so that we can get a successful connection between our device and the computer: Download USB drivers
- Download the Odin Flasher:
- Shut down your device down.
- Boot up your device into download mode by Pressing volume down + Home + Power Buttons all together simultaneously, when the screen turns on press the Volume up button to enter into download mode.
- Open the Odin3_v3.04.zip file you downloaded in step #2. Now execute the Odin3 v3.04.exe.
- Its time to connect your phone to the PC (phone is is download mode). Odin must now indicate you with the COM port and should display your device.
- Press the “PDA” button and select the downloaded clockworkmod6 tar.md5.
- Hit the “Start” button, Odin shall take a few minutes or less, when it indicates you with a sign [highlighter color="blue" ]“PASS”[/highlighter], disconnect your phone and done! You have successfully flashed CWM 6 on your Galaxy Note II AT&T.
A Few Important Notes:
- Do not disconnect your device from PC while in the intermediate process, until Odin shows “PASS”
- If you want to confirm the successful flashing of CWM, reboot into CWM by pressing Volume down + Home + Power Button
- If you get stuck anywhere in the mid process or if you want to inquire about anything, feel free to comment here and we will try out best to help you.
How To Root?
- Download SuperSU by Chainfire (flash able zip):
- Connect your device to the PC in Mass Storage mode and drag the downloaded SuperSU zip from above link to the root of your SD Card.
- Disconnect your device & reboot into Clockworkmod by pressing Volume down + Home + Power Buttons all together.
- Select “Install Zip from sdcard” & select the zip you placed in the sdcard.
- Once flashed, select the “Reboot System Now” option.
- Your phone should now boot!
Voila! You have you phone successfully rooted and installed CWM on your new Galaxy Note II AT&T.